Clerk & Election Officer
County Clerk and Election Officer
The County Clerk is responsible for a wide range of duties as specified by Kansas State Statutes:
- Serves as Secretary to the Board of County Commissioners; attends Commissioner meetings; prepares and posts agendas and keeps meeting minutes; maintains proceedings of Commissioners' meeting, including all contracts and agreements entered into by the County.
- Receives and compiles all budgets submitted by County entities, the city, and the school district; presents budget to County Commissioners for consideration and revisions;
- Compiles, calculates and prepares tax levies;
- Prepares real estate, personal property and state assessed tax roll and certifies to County Treasurer;
- Prepares the County's Annual Financial Report and Quarterly Financial Reports;
- Accumulates and files a bond indebtedness report for all taxing entities in the county;
- Carries out all elections and certifies to the Secretary of State; maintains voter database; accepts filings for public office; keeps financial statements of expenses for county, city, school district candidates;
- Provides Accounts Payable and Payroll functions for all County departments; receives all claims filed against the County;
- Administers the County employee benefits program, including health insurance and retirement plans;
- Maintains personnel records, job descriptions and the County Policy Manual;
- Retrieves and balances Motor Vehicle Tax then interfaces distributions to County Treasurer;
- Serves as the County Freedom of Information Officer;
- Maintains inventories;
- Provides assistance to county residents in preparing Homestead Property Tax Refund Applications for the Kansas Department of Revenue;
- Issues Cereal Malt Beverage Licenses to establishments outside city limits;
Jana Irby, County Clerk/Election Officer
Dani Roeder, Accounts Payable Clerk
Deb Keith, Payroll Clerk
8:00-5:00, Monday - Friday
410 N. Pomeroy
Hill City, KS 67642
Phone (785) 421-3453
Fax (785) 421-6374
Wildlife & Parks Licenses
2 Lane Liquor
600 W Main
Phone: (785) 421-4152
Hill City IGA
113 E Main
Phone: (785) 421-2051
Clerk's Office/Elections Frequently Asked Questions
The County Clerk's Office
A. Bring the legal description or address to the Clerk's office or the Appraiser’s office.
A. The Appraiser’s office.
A. Documents are filed in either the Register of Deeds office or the District Court Clerks office.
A. The District Court Clerks office.